Make Your Dream Come True By Building a Real Acrylic Greenhouse within Your Own Property
A greenhouse is the ultimate dream of any home-gardener, able to extend the cultivating period of plants into any season and allow for seeds and sprouts to grow in comfort. However, both the size, cost, and materials used in a traditional greenhouse can be overwhelming. Luckily, there’s a perfect alternative to glass greenhouses that’s easy to build all on your own. Make your greenhouse dreams come true by building your own DIY acrylic greenhouse!
Types of Plastic materials used to build a Greenhouse
A traditional greenhouse is constructed using real glass; however, there are a variety of different plastic-based materials that can act as effective substitutes for glass when building a greenhouse. Plastic substitutes are lighter, sturdier, and friendlier to a wider variety of budgets than glass.
Plastic is effective at trapping heat and moisture, but the plastic selected for use in a greenhouse has to be strong enough to withstand weather and outdoor elements. Some commonly used plastics are polyethylene, copolymer, polyvinyl, polycarbonate, and plexiglass. While all of these different plastic-based materials are good options, the most popular selection is plexiglass.
Benefits of using Acrylic Sheet in Greenhouse Instead of Glass
- Acrylic —also known as Plexiglass— is easily one of the most beneficial materials to use when building a DIY greenhouse.
It is highly durable and corrosion-free. The price of the Plexiglass sheets is very affordable as well.
- The weight of Plexiglass is light and the material itself is easy to handle during the DIY greenhouse construction process.
- Plexiglass also allows heat and light to come through and remain trapped in the greenhouse, helping the growing process of the plants.
- Plexiglass has an impact resistance nearly 6-17 times greater than glass based on thickness and quality. The material is also resistant to UV lights and is a non-yellowing material, ensuring that your DIY acrylic greenhouse will remain in good condition for years to come.
DIY Building Acrylic Greenhouse for the most protected greenhouse farming
Building your own DIY acrylic greenhouse is simple if you carefully follow these easy steps!
- Before building check with your local zoning officials if construction is legally allowed and proceed according to their comments.
- Pick a spot on your property to build that is directly in the sun and captures as much heat as possible.
- In that sunny spot, put four large poles where each corner of the greenhouse will be adjusted.
- Create a frame around the poles that goes up to around 0.5 meters. This bottom portion does not need to be covered with plexiglass.
- Use stronger metal or polythene bars to strengthen the poles in order to easily attach the Plexiglass sheets.
- Construct the roof using metal or polythene in any roofing style that you prefer.
- Cover the walls of the entire structure with Plexiglass and fix any holes or cracks in the panels using polymer gel. Don’t forget to leave a spot for a door in your structure.
Tips to maintain acrylic greenhouse for everlasting functionality
After you’ve successfully constructed your DIY acrylic greenhouse, it is essential to properly maintain your building in order to preserve its condition and functionality. Here are some simple tips on how to improve the lifespan and effectiveness of your new DIY project.
- Remove dust and dirt using gentle heat
- Apply a cleaning solution of warm water and dishwashing liquid and wipe your sheets
- Clean using a gentle, microfiber cloth that is non-abrasive
- Dry after cleaning to avoid streaks
- Use car wax and a microfiber cloth to remove small scratches on the surface
- Avoid ammonia-based cleaners or solutions that are acidic, such as vinegar
- Do not use abrasive cleaning tools, such as scrub pads or paper towels
Buy plexiglass from the one and only online marketplace for greenhouse
When building a DIY acrylic greenhouse, nothing is more important to creating a successful final product than the materials that you use. It’s a great idea to select acrylic that is both high-quality and reasonably priced.
Glass Genius has the potential to make your dreams come true. We provide an online platform that connects buyers with multiple high-quality acyclic sellers offering products at affordable prices. Customers can even further negotiate a better price that suits their personal budget, as well as receive custom-made products with the perfect shape, size, and design delivered directly to their doorstep.
Wrapping up Topic
With a little bit of background knowledge plus the right tools and materials, constructing your own DIY acrylic greenhouse is easier than ever. In just one weekend you can easily build the perfect greenhouse for your property, and enjoy the joys of gardening during any and every season.